Rose Geranium – Pelargonium graveolens
Essential oil of rose geraniums helps with nervous complaints and can help with fibromyalgia, neuropathy, or jitters. It works well to alleviate even clinical depression. It regulates hormones, cleans and refines oily skin, and promotes wound healing.
- Rose geranium oil is very balancing, and helps make coping with stress easier. One way in which stress is alleviated is through balancing the body’s hormones.
- Rose geranium oil has been beneficial in reducing heavy menstruation, treating the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome, and balancing vaginal secretions and conditions such as common yeast imbalances.
- Rose geranium oil helps eliminate excess water that has been retained in the body. This is good to treat gall stones, cystitis, jaundice, and other illnesses and common complaints.
- Rose geranium is also useful as an astringent, and can help to achieve skin tone and clarity. This oil is also very good for treating burns, cuts, scrapes, abrasions, and other skin conditions.
- It has great importance in the perfume industry – scent: rose, citrus.
- Rose geranium oil can be blended with other essential oils and carriers to form massage oil to be used in massage therapy. It works well in diffusers, simmer pots, and steam therapy. It can be diluted in a warm bath for therapeutic soaks.
- This oil may be added to cream or lotion bases to be applied to wounds, various skin conditions, and burns. This uplifting oil has a great all-over balancing effect and this extends to the skin.
- Rose geranium oil is a powerful insecticide, and when a few drops are added to shampoo, it can be effective therapy against head lice.
Geranium oil is not toxic, not known to be sensitizing, but should be avoided during pregnancy.